Monday, January 7, 2008

Non-resolution

I don't really like New Year's resolutions. I'm of the mindset that if you think something is a good idea, and that you should start doing it, then there's no time like the present. But the new year is a convenient time to start things, so I got sucked in like everyone else.

Last year I followed a program that had me reading the New Testament and Psalms in one year. I did pretty well with that, though at the end of the year I got kind of bogged down and I still haven't finished Revelation, nor have I read Psalm 119. *blush* But I think I can finish that up in enough time to start my new reading project, which is to read at least one religious-ish study type book each month. But first, a detour.

I was a very early and voracious reader--taught myself to read at age 3 and used to read in pretty much every spare moment. Then I became an adult, had a couple of kids, got captivated by the internet, and I realized that it's been a long time since I actually read a book. I mean, I read all the time--newspapers, magazines, Bible reading, and of course internet content. But actual books? Eek, I can't remember the last one I read to completion. I felt especially ashamed after reading this post the other day, 73 books! I don't know that I've read that many books in a year since I was in elementary school. So, I was thoroughly embarrassed, and thought I ought to get back on the ball, and 12 books in one year isn't particularly overwhelming.

So back to my 2008 reading schedule. Once I finish up Revelation from last year's program *ahem* I plan to read Darwin on Trial. I found it referenced in The Case for a Creator, which is a book I, uh, started reading a few weeks ago but never finished, and I gave it away, which is probably a terrible faux pas but anyway, it's done now. :) I think I should be able to manage to get this done in the remaining 3.5 weeks of January, and if you're nice to me I might even post a review when I'm finished. ;)

No comments: