Friday, September 5, 2008

Sweet, Sweet Basil


Sweet Basil
Originally uploaded by Averain
This is my great pride and joy, my sweet basil plant. When I planted it at the beginning of the season, it looked like this.

This may not be so impressive to you, but I have a thumb as brown as the fence in the background (note that I killed the tomato and jalapeno plant that used to share this barrel with the basil) so I'm quite pleased that this little plant grew so well. I'm a bit sad that its leaves are getting smaller as the season nears its end and I'll miss Caprese Salad and basil in my scrambled eggs, but I'll be buying a basil plant first thing next year when they show up at the stores.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Wow...I'm impressed that you grew that in the desert heat! Great job.

Justin said...

Thanks! Apparently basil loves heat. The hotter it got the better it grew. As a matter of fact, when I missed watering it for a few days one time it just exploded. I think I was over watering it.