Saturday, January 26, 2008

Amazing History Site

Today I was searching for a particular quote that I thought came from Martin Luther King, Jr. and I found the American Rhetoric web site.  This site has a large number of speeches with the transcripts and, where available, the recordings of those speeches.  I had never heard, for example, FDR's Pearl Harbor Address which contains the famous, "A day which will live in infamy" quote.  It was stirring to hear it and the recording was very good.  In fact, I noticed that the Top 100 Speeches of the 20th Century list at the site contains a lot of speeches that I'd heard of but never actually heard.  And when the site doesn't have audio it will often have either the text of the speech or a link to a site that has text of the speech.

3 comments:

Jeremiah said...

JFK's 1964(?) inaugural still gives me chills. Can be found on The Prelinger Archives.

Monkey Giggles said...

Thank you for entering my giveaway. I hope to throw a stone at ya.

Come back and visit me again

Smiles
Hope

Unknown said...

Thanks for entering my giveaway!